May 29 2017
No matter how many hockey bags you’re trying to fit in your trunk you should never hit the road without an emergency kit, especially in the winter months. The characteristic slippery roads, poor visibility and varied precipitation in winter can challenge even the most experienced drivers. And if that weren’t enough, the cold can aggravate small, pre‐existing problems with your car and increase your chance of breaking down. So what can you do? Be prepared! No one wants to be stranded in the cold, but sometimes we get unlucky. To help you weather any storm, Be Car Care Aware has prepared a list of top five emergency kit essentials:
1) Cell phone – Always be sure to have a fully charged cell phone with you so that you can call for help if needed. Even when you’re out of service range, your phone should be able to connect you to 911 in case of an emergency.
2) Snow brush/ice scraper and windshield washer fluid – Visibility is everything when freezing rain, snow and ice are cumulating on your windshield, mirrors and lights. Keep a snow brush and ice scraper in your car to make sure you can see where you’re going and an extra jug of windshield washer fluid.
3) Flashlight – In the darker months of the year, it can be difficult to see and be seen, so be sure to keep a waterproof flashlight with charged batteries in your car.
4) Warm blanket – Running your engine for extended periods of time can put you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, so keep a blanket or sleeping bag in your car to keep you warm if you’re stranded. It’s also a good idea to keep an extra pair of warm socks and mitts in your kit.
5) Shovel – Keep a small shovel in your car in case you get stuck and need to dig yourself out of a snowbank or parking spot.
Preparing for unexpected emergencies will help alleviate anxiety in stressful situations and can help keep you safe. To keep you and your family safe this winter, don’t omit the “kit” – keep a well‐stocked emergency kit in your trunk. It’s better to have it and not need it than to be stuck without it!